This is the home of openBVE
, a license-free, open source, free of charge train driving simulator.
This program includes detailed per-car simulation of the brake systems, friction, air resistance, toppling and more. In 3D cabs, the driving experience is augmented with forces that shake your simulated body upon acceleration and braking, as well as in curves. Besides that, openBVE features a 3D positional sound system best enjoyed with surround speakers, train exteriors and timetables for the current run. Finally, via the main menu, routes and trains be easily selected to start a new session, the controls can be configured to keyboard or joystick devices, and a variety of options can be selected.
Compared to other simulators of the genre, especially compared to commercial games, openBVE has its main focus on realism, not necessarily on user-friendliness. You should be willing to study operational manuals for the routes and trains you want to drive, and will in many cases not get along by just memorizing a few keystrokes. If you can identify with this focus, openBVE might be the right simulator for you.
Latest Stable Release:
126.96.36.199 Stable (2018-11-11)
Current News & Updates:
- New: Mirror command for B3D / CSV objects. http://bveworldwide.unlimitedboard.com/t1475-suggestion-mirrored-face-command#16040
- Fix: Joystick support broken
- Fix: Several issues with animated objects using TextureShifting
- Fix: Several issues with sounds in animated objects
- Fix: Glitch when backgrounds changed
- Fix: Issue with distance scripted markers
- Change: Cache train objects whilst loading
- Change: Accept Track.Background as a valid command
- Change: Walls and Dikes accept L / R as a valid direction. See the following errata note: https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/wiki/Errata#l–r-now-accepted-as-valid-wall–dike-directions
- Hacks: Fix issues when the first number in certain B3D / CSV commands is omitted
- Hacks: Routefile specific fix for 目蒲線普..csv
- Hacks: Routefile specific fix for Zwolle - Vlissingen
- Hacks: Fix initial zoom for LT1938 Stock (BVE4) panel
- Hacks: Fix panel scroll range for TOQ2000 & TOQ8000
- Hacks: Fix incorrect panel eye position for 81-71
- New: It is now possible to implement multiple interior views via the train.xml format. (Experimental)
- New: Animated objects now support basic sounds. See here: http://bveworldwide.unlimitedboard.com/t1314p25-animated-objects-following-the-track-now-with-sound
- New: openBVE now supports an event marker overlay (As per Route Viewer)
- New: Route Viewer will now load FLAC sounds.
- Fix: Several issues with the TextureShift functions.
- Fix: Detect several issues with invalid paramaters supplied via Train.dat (Note: This may produce a few extra error messages with some trains. These may be ignored)
- Fixed an issue with the WMTA Red Line.
- New: Handle BVE1200000 and BVE1210000 format train.dat files.
- New: Add Uchibo V8 objects to the compatibility lists.
- Fix: Handle a case of a malformed MeshMaterialList in the X parser.
- Fix: Issue with RailCycles under certain circumstances.
- Hacks: Handle malformed ATS/ ATC declarations better.
- Hacks: Remove obviously wrong additional closing brackets in the RW parser (Fixes various stuff)
- Hacks: Fix an issue where Background #0 is not used, and the route does not start at position zero.
- Hacks: Route specific fix for Jundiai-Francisco Morato
- Hacks: Route specific fix for Linie S3 (FVE)
- When using a double-sided wall / dyke, this would be omitted if either the left or the right object was not loaded.
- It was possible to use the .Rail and .RailEnd commands with a RailIndex of zero.
- New: Added a parser for objects in the Wavefront .obj format.
- New: Considerable improvements to the .X parser.
- Fix: Enable Hacks option not saved between program runs.
- Fix: Jumping to the track camera could start in an incorrect position.
- Change: Add libopenal1 to the Debian package dependencies.
- Change: Better notification message if a required system library is missing.
- Fix: Crash when attempting to open a file which was not an archive in Package Management.
- Fix: Binary X files containing an array were broken.
- Fix: Keyboard keygrab not working in the controls menu.
- Fix: Using differently sized daytime and nighttime textures in a panel2.cfg could crash.
- Fix: The cursor was not returned to default after an error was encountered loading a route.
- Change: Update ca-ES, ja-JA and zh-CN translations.
- Change: $Chr supports unicode characters as per BVE4.
- Change: Better error message when a BVE4 signal is not found.
- New: Add Legacy Korean (CP949) to auto-detected charsets.