This is the home of OpenBVE
, a license-free, open source, free of charge train driving simulator.
This program includes detailed per-car simulation of the brake systems, friction, air resistance, toppling and more. In 3D cabs, the driving experience is augmented with forces that shake your simulated body upon acceleration and braking, as well as in curves. Besides that, OpenBVE features a 3D positional sound system best enjoyed with surround speakers, train exteriors and timetables for the current run. Finally, via the main menu, routes and trains be easily selected to start a new session, the controls can be configured to keyboard or joystick devices, and a variety of options can be selected.
Compared to other simulators of the genre, especially compared to commercial games, OpenBVE has its main focus on realism, not necessarily on user-friendliness. You should be willing to study operational manuals for the routes and trains you want to drive, and will in many cases not get along by just memorizing a few keystrokes. If you can identify with this focus, OpenBVE might be the right simulator for you.
Latest Stable Release:
126.96.36.199 Stable (2022-08-04)
Current News & Updates:
- New: Change to using a scratch-written bitmap decoder. This improves the 256-color and reduced color transparency hacks considerably (Primarily BVE1 / BVE2 era content)
- New: Add DistanceLastStation animated variable.
- Fix: Only data from the player’s train should be sent to input device plugins.
- Fix: A stale matrix could be sent to the shader in GL3 mode (could cause floating objects at the camera position in rare cases)
- Fix: The Timetable element on XML panels was not correctly hidden.
- Change: Improve the station stop point selection algorithm. Please see https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/wiki/Errata#station-stop-selection for further details.
- Hacks: When hacks are enabled, but the first specified background is missing, map to generic texture.
- Hacks: Improve empty first argument hack.
- Hacks: Update routefile patch database.
- New: Implement sprung handle types.
- Hacks: Add handling for S1_V3.csv (misplaced colons)
- Change: Update pl-PL translation.
- Change: Restart loop sound when a train is un-derailed.
- Change: Make the main form start panel color consistant.
- Change: The full-screen shortcut will not issue key-repeat events.
- Fix: Attempting to customise a non-set control in-game could crash
- Fix: Issue with routes containing an empty train folder when hacks enabled.
- Fix: Issue when building under Windows with spaces in path.
- Fix: Couple of edge case issues under certain circumstances when GL3 not available.
- New: Implement delay values for the electric brake, which had been missed. Please see the following errata entry: https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/wiki/Errata#electric-brake-delay
- New: Allow the route map / gradient profile to be exported from the main menu.
- New: Allow the package install directories to be browsed directly from the main menu.
- New: Add Malaysian language file.
- Hacks: Fix some badly formatted Chasanai downloads.
- Hacks: Fix some object files using an invalid BVE2 relative texture path.
- Hacks: Handle some route files using a relative train path.
- Fix: Assorted fixes in the train.xml format.
- Fix: Improve various stuff in the OBJ parsers.
- Fix: The readhesion device could be stuck if it was active during a backwards jump.
- Change: Use a more forceful exit / restart when running under Mono / Linux.
OpenBVE V188.8.131.52 has now been pushed to replace V184.108.40.206
This is a minor maintence release to correct two issues found since release.
- Fix: Attempting to customise a control with no action set in-game could crash.
- Fix: A routefile with an empty train folder set failed to load with hacks enabled. (Introduced in 1,8.3.0)
The SharpCompress library (internally used to handle package installation) was updated in 220.127.116.11
This unintentionally broke package installation on some machines.
No other interesting changes.
- New: Implement some more properties into the CarXML format.
- New: Allow BVE5 motor sounds to be loaded via CarXML.
- Fix: Handle systems using KP_DECIMAL when using the SDL2 backend.
- Fix: Improve the camera handling on route reset in Route Viewer.
- Fix: EmissiveColorAll not working under certain circumstances.
- Fix: Lighting change event could cause a visibility glitch.
- Change: Implement various FreeBSD patches into the master tree.